Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thing #8--Social Media Managment Tools

Thing #8 is all about social media.  This is a fun topic, even if I'm not the biggest user of social media.  I have a Facebook account, which is fun and keeps me in touch with friends and family and up to date with the news.  I don't see myself getting any deeper into social media.  At least not at this time.  It's neat to see how many other options there are out there, such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Foursquare and more.  That's a lot to choose from!  I think I'll stick to Facebook. 

On that note, I downloaded the Facebook app to the Kindle Fire and also played around with it on the Nexus.  The apps, as far as I can tell, function and look the same on both devices.  There are definite differences between the screen you get on the computer and the one you get on your mobile device.  That took a little getting used to.  Going through my newsfeed was pretty simple, just scroll down.  Depending on the sensitivity settings on the device, you may accidentally open a story or enlarge a picture you didn't mean to.  Minor detail.  It took me awhile to find the menu to log out of my account.  Swipe from the left side and the whole menu appears.  Handy.  From there I can switch to the library Facebook page and post updates on there as well, check for upcoming events and, way at the bottom, log out of my account.

The one strange thing I noticed is that stories and updates that appear in my newsfeed on the mobile device app don't always appear on my newsfeed when I'm logged in on the computer.  Odd.  I don't know why.  That's the only thing that I found confusing.  Otherwise this is a great way to check what's going on when I can't get to the computer.

There were also apps to manage multiple social media accounts. Not an app that I need at the moment, but could come in handy if I branch out.  I took a look at Buffer.  This will post updates for you on multiple social media sites for you.  Just type it in once or upload your picture once and it will automatically share it on your Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.  You can have it post simultaneously or schedule it so it posts on one site at a time.  Neat.  If I had more than one account to management that would be useful.





And don't forget to "like" us at www.facebook.com/BemidjiPublicLibrary

No comments:

Post a Comment