Friday, February 21, 2014

Thing #3--Utilities

I finally was able to nab the Nexus and try out the Google Search app.  My husband downloaded this app soon after he got his tablet so I didn't have to do that step. 

Google Search, if you're just using it to surf the web, is similar to regular Google.  However, it does have a microphone option where you can speak your search terms at it instead of typing them in.  Just tap on the microphone on the search bar and say "Google ______" and it will search for whatever you just said.  Be sure to speak clearly or you may get something totally unrelated to what you need. 

Google is super easy to bring up with this app.  Just swipe up from the bottom of the tablet and it will appear.  No need to go back home or open another window.  I discovered this on accident.  I was trying to scroll down on a news story I was reading and swiped my finger too far down on the tablet.  All of a sudden my story was gone and Google was there!  Thank goodness for the back button. 

Also, you can set up Google to display the weather and show current headlines on topics you're interested in and will tell you if blogs you follow have updated. 

I wasn't able to try out Google Goggles.  The camera on this tablet isn't high resolution so doesn't take very clear pictures.  Sad.  It sounds like a fun feature.  In all, I think it's easy to use and a neat feature to have.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment