Friday, February 21, 2014

Thing #5--Notetaking

For Thing #5 I was to choose an app to help me stay organized, take notes and keep on track.  Not one of my strong points in life, so maybe one of these app could help me out with that.  Maybe.

There were two of the selections available for the Kindle Fire, Springpad and Remember the Milk.  After reading some of the reviews I went with Springpad.  It seemed simpler to use for work.  After downloading it, I'm not sure if simpler is the word I'd use, but it isn't too hard to figure out after playing with it a bit.

I had to set up an account to use it, as seems to be the case with most things (I believe I mentioned that earlier).  After that I set about making Springs.  These are basically tabs or notes that are on the screen.  You can have springs for checklists, to-do notes, recipe files, books, movies and more.  I created some to-do notes telling me what to do and by when I need to do them.  After they're done I get to check the box and not worry about them anymore.  I also made a checklist.  My checklist is for the 23 Mobile Things.  I already have been able to check a couple things off.  Yay!  This feature would be rather convenient for grocery lists or packing lists for trips.

The movie, book and recipe features could come in handy, but I don't see myself making use of them.  I don't watch enough movies to have to track them.  It may be useful for ordering DVDs for the Library.  As for the feature keeping track of books I have read or want to read, I do read a lot, but I already have an account at Goodreads that I use and I like a lot better.  To me it is just a hassle to have to type everything in a second time.  If there is a way to sync them together, I haven't found it yet.

In all, I think this would be a useful app for someone who has a smartphone they carry with them.  It would be a lot more useful than having to keep pen and paper handy to write a note to yourself, keep a grocery list from getting lost in your pocket, or maybe even noting down (with a handy picture) of the book you want to check out at the library.  For someone like me, who doesn't have a smartphone and only a tablet I use at work, it's not as helpful.  But who knows.  With more time playing with it, it might become a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment