Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Thing #6--Creating & Editing Docs

For Thing #6 I needed to use an app to write and edit a document.  This is something I do almost everyday on the computer at work, so I was curious to see how this would work on the tablet.

I tried Quickoffice on the Nexus.  This is basically a mobile version of Microsoft Office.  It has some of the same features, but not near as many options to use.  You do need to have a Google Drive account to use Quickoffice.  I don't, so I used my husband's account.  First I looked through the options.  You can write a document in Word, do a spreadsheet or create a powerpoint.  I went with Word since that's what I could see myself using the most.  It's pretty straightforward.  Just tap on the Word icon and you can starting writing.  There are ways to set your font type, font size, underline and all that usual stuff.  To save just tap on the disc icon.  It will bring up several save options and I used Google Drive.  The document was then saved and available to access for future use.

After that, I opened a document that was previously saved on the computer and put into Google Drive.  I wanted to see how it would work editing a previously created document.  It went pretty well.  I was able to open it up in Quickoffice and make some changes and then save my work.  A problem arose when trying to open the recently edited doc on the computer.  Apparently our version of Microsoft Office didn't like it and told me it was corrupt.  After talking with my husband he confirmed that's happened to him as well.  He can open and edit the document once in Google Drive, after that the file comes up as corrupt on MS Word.  I don't know if this is a common occurrence or unique to us.

I think Quickoffice is a neat app for making up short documents as needed or doing some quick editing.  Without a keyboard attached I wouldn't want to create anything large.  The touchpad is easy to use, but not great for lots of typing.

And here's our badge for getting 5 Things accomplished!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment