Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thing #2--Mobile Device Tips

For Thing #2 I looked for tips and tricks to try out on my two devices.  First I looked at the sites recommended for the Google Nexus.  I thought I may be able to share with my husband, who owns one, something new he didn't know.  I wasn't very successful.  It has a voice search app that's pretty neat.  It's not as easy to use on the tablet as it would be on the Nexus smart phone.  Apparently after the latest upgrade you need to manually turn on the voice search and then you are able to talk to it.  I then told my husband about tips to save battery life.  "Did you know you can save battery life by turning off your wi-fi?" I asked.  His response was "So turning off the tablet?"  Not quite.  If you're reading an ebook that you've downloaded already, you can turn off your wi-fi and your battery will last longer.  I never would have thought of that.

After reading about the Google Nexus I went searching for tips for the Kindle Fire.  The first one I found was the official user's guide pit out by Amazon.  I didn't find it particularly helpful, so I kept searching.   I found 2 sites that were helpful, but they are a couple years old, so some of the information might not be current.  But what I did try seemed to work. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/kindle-fire-users-guide-15-essential-features-tips-amazons-tablet-387344

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57341517-285/your-complete-guide-to-the-kindle-fire/

I was able to figure out how to remove icons from the carousel so there aren't so many things to scroll through.  I think some of them appear there on their own and there's a way to stop that, but I'm still trying to figure that out.  It's in the settings somewhere, I just need to find it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment