Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thing #4--Keeping Up

You may notice that I skipped #3. Don't worry, I'll come back to it.  The one app for Thing #3 I could find for the Kindle Fire I didn't get to work.  I tried the iHome Sleep app.  I don't really see this being relevant to my life (I already have an alarm clock), but since I couldn't get it to work I can't really write too much about it.   So I'm going to borrow my husband's tablet and play around with Google Search.  I'll let you know how it goes.

But now for Thing #4.  I downloaded the Flipboard app.  I am a big news junkie on my down time, so this app could come in handy.  After downloading the app I needed to create an account.  I get tired of creating accounts for everything, but I suppose they're necessary.  After that was done I explored the search option.  There are different categories to choose from; sports, entertainment, news, and more.  And under each category is an overwhelming array of choices.  Seriously, there are so many that there's no way I could list them all.  I picked a few from a couple different categories to put on my pages and follow.  By and large it's pretty easy to use.  Just tap on the page you want to go to and it will bring you to the news site.  It doesn't bring you to the actual website, so not all the news stories are available to view through this app.  But there is enough to keep you up to date.  The sites available in the entertainment categories will bring you to the original websites, but only after clicking through a few times.

I think this is a fun app to use if you read a lot of news, but I'm not sure how long I'll keep up my account.  I can typically get everything I need from the newsfeed on my Facebook account.  There is a feature to get that newsfeed imbedded in your Flipboard account, but for some reason the two sites weren't talking to each other when I tried.  I'll try again tonight and see if it will work then.


No comments:

Post a Comment