Monday, March 17, 2014

Thing #12--Books, Books and More Books

This Thing is by far my favorite Thing.  Out of the ones that I've tried anyway.  In the previous post for Thing #11 I believe I mentioned I'm not a huge ebook user.  It's true, I'm not.  I prefer paper books.  But in this Thing I discovered Wattpad.  While it hasn't converted me, it sure is a lot of fun.

Wattpad is a site where you can read books for free.  They have classics from Project Gutenberg and books that members have written.  Or are in the process of writing.  The latter I discovered to my chagrin while reading my first book.

There are many genres to look through.  I tried historical fiction first.  After I read the summaries of the first few, I changed my mind.  A little too graphic for my tastes.  After some searching, I found that a lot of the books are quite graphic.  So I chose a genre at random and ended up with "werewolf."  Well, if we're going weird, might as well go all the way.  It wasn't that great of a story.  Rather along the lines of fan fiction.  And the author didn't get werewolves right (but she does warn you about that at the beginning of the story).  My husband poked a little bit of fun at me while I was reading it.  Mostly because I kept reading it even though it was kind of silly.  But I felt like I should finish it since I started it.  However, I later found out the author was still writing it and it wasn't complete yet.  I had to wait two weeks for the end of the story.  How disappointing.

That same scenario played out another two times before I figured out how to limit my search to only completed books.  That backfired on me, too.  The first completed book I found ended in a cliff-hanger.  And the sequel hasn't been written yet.  Sometimes you just can't win. 

I've had lots of fun exploring this app.  I love to try out new books and authors and this is a great place to do that.  Two downsides to this app is that since it is rather interactive between the authors and the readers, the authors will many times post comments after adding a chapter to their work.  This can be interesting while reading a book that's currently being written, it can be a little distracting later on.  The other is at least half the stories I looked through have not been edited.  If you find misspellings and poor grammar as distracting as I do, many stories will be ruined for you.  Which is sad.       


No comments:

Post a Comment